Groupon Shares Up 1.5% on Ticket Monster Rumors

Snapdeals in 5,000 Cities and Towns in India

Groupon Trending Down Heading into 2015

Merchants Need To Pay Attention To Profits Of Daily Deals, Not Their Commission Rate

commissionMany restaurants contemplate whether running a Groupon daily deal is actually worth as much money and effort  that is put into it. According to a recent article by InsideScoopSF, the vantage point for most restaurants who run a daily promotion is to aggressively negotiate the commission. Most merchants will even increase the price of their offer, to $20 off of $40 instead of $15 off of $30, to get a better rate on commission.

However, this strategy only supports Groupon’s stock price.

When Groupon sells a $10 for $20 voucher, the company tends to keep around 40% of the $10 voucher. Where restaurants really make their money is the remaining 60% of the voucher, as well as, when guest order and excess of their voucher’s dollar amount. According to InsideScoopSF, restaurant operators dedicate most of their negotiating energy on getting the commission down an extra 5-10%.

Copilot has tracked almost 100 daily deal promotions across many different types of restaurants, their findings discovered the main factor in making a daily deal profitable isn’t the commission, it’s the set price of the deal itself. For the majority of restaurants across the U.S., setting a lower dollar amount ($10 for $20 instead of $25 off of $50) that is closer to the average ticket price, will encourage overspending.

For deals that tend to turn over the most profits, overspending makes up 81% of their profits and the voucher sale only contributes 19%. Breaking this down, commission does not affect the profitability of the promotion whereas  a change in the price is the difference between a profitable deal and one that barley makes the restaurant any money.

Any smart daily deal company recognizes that the smartest way to increase their own profits is to increase the overall price of the promotion, not worry about the commission rate.

Source: InsideScoopSF

Megan Bildner

Megan is currently the Jr. Editor of the Daily Deal Media and Digital MI sites with Mogul Media. Here, she is responsible for the site's content and publication. Along with these tasks, Megan also engages with the DDM & DMI audience through social pages/groups/tweets. When she is not working on the DDM & DMI sites Megan enjoys tweeting, traveling, snowboarding, hiking, and socializing with her friends. She grew up in Michigan's Clarkston and Lake Orion and loves being on the lake, boating, and wake-boarding. You can follow her @MeganBildner or e-mail her at
DDM Reports
The 2014 Edition of the DDM Daily Deal Publisher Directory is the most comprehensive contact list for daily deal sites, flash retailers, aggregators and individuals operating in the daily deal industry. Each record includes the following: - Company Name - Website - Contact Name - Contact Title - Email - Phone - Address (not all records contain a full mailing address)
The 2013 Media List is a comprehensive database of all major media, bloggers and product/app review websites. If you're looking for PR distribution, this is a great list to begin with. Each record includes: - Contact Name - Publication Name - Website URL - Address - Email - Description
2.7M Consumer Subscribers. This data has been aggregated from a number of websites, which include daily deal sites that have gone out of business. Data includes: - Full Name - Address - Phone Number - Email - Signup Website - IP Address - Date of Signup Data will be delivered via a dropbox link in CSV format.